Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPHteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Ctr Ossipee, NH

i'm so scared, it's just my son and I. I'm all he has. And just new diagnosed to pulmonary hypertension but I think my pulmonologist and cardiologist are brushing it aside because I'm 39 and you're saying I'm young and it's probably just mild from Sleep Avenue and they haven't done more invasive tests yet but my lips turned purple every single day mostly later in the day they turn purple one pale and I'm always extremely tired and pale I'm having all the signs and symptoms of severe pulmonary… read more

December 1, 2025
 · 
Reactions
myPHteam

Are purple lips, shortness of breath, and daily fatigue common with pulmonary hypertension?

Yes, these symptoms are experienced by many people with PH. Purple or bluish lips (called cyanosis) occur when blood oxygen levels are low, and this is a recognized symptom of pulmonary hypertension. Shortness of breath and fatigue Show Full Answer

Are purple lips, shortness of breath, and daily fatigue common with pulmonary hypertension?

Yes, these symptoms are experienced by many people with PH. Purple or bluish lips (called cyanosis) occur when blood oxygen levels are low, and this is a recognized symptom of pulmonary hypertension. Shortness of breath and fatigue are among the most common and debilitating symptoms.

Many myPHteam members describe similar experiences. One member shared experiencing "balance issues, light-headedness, and leg weakness" along with breathing troubles. Another described feeling "so tired and fatigued with even the slightest bit of exertion."

The fact that your lips turn purple daily, especially later in the day, and that you're experiencing extreme tiredness are valid concerns that deserve medical attention. Your concerns are valid and need proper evaluation.

Discoloration in the lips can indicate low blood oxygen levels and should be evaluated promptly. When cyanosis appears in mucous membranes like the lips or inside the mouth, it can signal a more serious situation that needs immediate medical attention.

While sleep apnea can contribute to PH, your symptoms warrant more thorough testing. The definitive test for confirming PH diagnosis and severity is right-heart catheterization. If you haven't had this test yet, it's important to advocate for it with your doctors. You don't have to face this alone.

It's completely understandable to feel scared, especially as a single parent. However, being diagnosed at 39 doesn't automatically mean severe disease, and many people with PH continue to live fulfilling lives with proper treatment and management.

A myPHteam member who was diagnosed at 40 with a young daughter initially thought PH was "a death sentence," but after proper testing, treatment, and support, found "great hope for my future."

Please contact your doctor immediately about your purple lips and symptoms. Don't hesitate to seek a second opinion if you feel your concerns aren't being taken seriously. Your son needs you advocating for your health.

December 1, 2025
A myPHteam Member

I had to go to Cleveland clinic to get diagnosed by qualified drs. They do not require a referral. If your insurance doesn’t require one that is a way to go. I don’t know where you live so it could be a problem for you. I just needed to know.

December 4, 2025
A myPHteam Member

Do they have you scheduled for some tests? You said they hadn't done any yet...does that mean some are planned?

December 1, 2025
A myPHteam Member

thank you but my PCP won't refer me to a pulmonary hypertension doctor and my cardiologist is not listening, I'm not sure how to find a specialist in PH?

December 1, 2025
A myPHteam Member

Good morning Kristy, and welcome to the PH community, I don't know if your Cardiologist and Pulmonologist are PH Drs that specialize in PH, if they are not you need to find new Drs that is what they specialize in. I have that happen to me alot with my lips turning blue. My husband will tell me your lips are blue again, I will put my oxygen on for awhile. And there are so many meds for PH that can help you and give you some of your life back! You just need to find good PH Drs and find out what type of PG you have so they can give you the right meds. I wish yoy the best and may Gid bless you! 🙌

December 1, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Florida, NY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In