Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPHteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Pueblo, CO

Every month Medicare is taken out of the Social Security checks. I qualify for a program that the state of Colorado pays my monthly Medicare cost, due to my being low income, so I get my full Soc. Sec. check amount. I am with United Ins. Co. for Medicare and all of a sudden starting in starting Jan. 2025 the bill arrived in Dec. 2024. I have a 2nd bill for Feb.2025 that arrived in Jan. 2025. I never received any correspondence telling me this was going to happen
Yes, I called customer service… read more

January 27, 2025
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared experiences and advice around Medicare billing confusion, plan selection, and the financial stress of living on a fixed income.... Read more

Members shared experiences and advice around Medicare billing confusion, plan selection, and the financial stress of living on a fixed income. Several members recommended working with an independent local Medicare broker or advisor, noting they can meet with you outside of open enrollment to help you prepare and find the best fit for your health needs. A recurring theme was the importance of doing thorough research before open enrollment, since Advantage plans can be more restrictive with specialist access and prior authorizations, while traditional Medicare with a supplement may offer more flexibility for those with complex conditions.

A myPHteam Member

Hi Kris, we found a local medicare representative that we meet with every October to look at our Medicare programs. I was told I would be better off staying with original medicare and a supplement since I had so many specialists. Also it is easier to get out of state help if I was still traveling. I was told the Advantage plans can be too restricting, acts more like an old HMO, too many pre-authorizations needed and they can change things on you more often. She also helps us pick our drug supplement and we sometimes have to change it every Oct. to get best prices as their formularies change. She has been a huge help to us. Many hospitals also provide Medicare/Medicaid advisors there is no charge to meet with them.

January 27, 2025
A myPHteam Member

Good AI answer. You can also contact your senator’s Social Security/Medicare liaison via their website.

January 27, 2025
myPHteam

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of frustration, and it's completely understandable given the complexity of Medicare plans and the challenges with pulmonary hypertension treatments. To answer your question: Yes, some people do pay a monthly premium directly to their Medicare Advantage or Part D insurance company Show Full Answer

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot of frustration, and it's completely understandable given the complexity of Medicare plans and the challenges with pulmonary hypertension treatments. To answer your question: Yes, some people do pay a monthly premium directly to their Medicare Advantage or Part D insurance company, especially if they are on a plan that requires additional premiums beyond what Medicare covers. This can happen even if you're low-income, depending on the plan's structure and subsidies.

Since you're on a low-income program, it might be worth double-checking with your state's Medicaid office or a Medicare advisor to ensure you're on the best plan for your needs. They can also help clarify why you're being billed now and whether there are better options for you during the next enrollment period. Hang in there—you're doing an amazing job advocating for yourself!

January 27, 2025
A myPHteam Member

I haven't heard anyone say anything about any providers not accepting Advantage Plans, in this area. Everybody I know goes for the Advantage Plan. There are down sides to it though, I have read. It seems like which way you choose is dependent on what kind of health issues you face.

January 28, 2025
A myPHteam Member

Many of our local clinics and some hospitals don't always accept the Advantage plans here either.

January 28, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Sterling, CO

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In