Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPHteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Shrewsbury, PA
July 19, 2023
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared a wide range of medications they take for pulmonary arterial hypertension beyond Viagra, including combinations like Adempas... Read more

Members shared a wide range of medications they take for pulmonary arterial hypertension beyond Viagra, including combinations like Adempas and Opsumit, Tadalafil and Ambrisentan, Uptravi, and Tyvaso DPI, with many reporting improved test results and reduced pressure levels after starting treatment. Several members offered practical guidance on managing the astronomical cost of PAH medications, recommending resources like The Assistance Fund for copay assistance, specialty pharmacies like Accredo, working closely with doctors to navigate insurance authorizations, and exploring clinical trial opportunities that cover both medication and associated medical care. A recurring theme was the importance of staying persistent through side effects and medication adjustments, advocating firmly with doctors when treatments aren't working, and maintaining hope through family connections and future goals while treating the disease as aggressively as possible.

A myPHteam Member

Phyllis5,
In addition to Sildenafil, I take Opsumit and Uptravi, both very very expensive. My Insurance cover most of the cost and I get co-pay assistance from an organization called The Assistance Fund. The Opsumit and Uptravi are manufactured by Janssen Pharmaceuticals and dispensed to me by a specialty pharmacy, Accredo.

July 23, 2023
A myPHteam Member

Thomas - if that question is for me, through my pulmonary specialist. She provides the Rx, sees if insurance approves, sees if I can cover the copay, and then which pharmacy will provide for that price.
It is a good question for this site. Meds for PH are confusing, where you get them from, why does it take so long at times (where’s the Hangup), who can help you cover their cost, etc.

July 22, 2023
A myPHteam Member

Hello, I was diagnosed severe PAH (88) in September 2022 with R heart failure, and one the following three drugs am down to mild (27) with no heart failure: Tadalafil nightly 40 mg., Uptravi down to 400 mcg 2 x daily (was up to 1000, but my blood pressure was too low), Toresimide 20 mg dly and spironolactone 50 mg dly. It was the Torsimide 2 x dly, but to spare my potassium she switched out one dose to the spironolactone. Also, I take the Tadalafil at night as it lowers my BP too much to function, but sleeping through that isn't a problem. I very seldom use O2 now unless it's a hot and humid day and I'm walking or if I go up in elevation much. I live at 1200 ft. and need O2 by 1800 ft. I was tried on Ambresantin (and I think it helped a lot for the two weeks I was on it), but my liver enzymes went up too high.

July 21, 2023
A myPHteam Member

@A myPHteam Member and @A myPHteam Member I get copay assistance through The Assistance Fund too. Depending on your income, your copay per medication is never more than $10. Without their assistance, I certainly could not afford my Ambrisentan. My PH Specialist is pretty creative too. Her clinic participates in many studies. She is currently trying to get me into a Tyvaso DPI study. If I'm accepted, not only is the cost of the medication covered, but all associated medical care.

July 23, 2023
A myPHteam Member

My pah went to 47 last echo

July 20, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Lakewood, NJ

A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Port St Lucie, FL

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In