I am on Wegovy. It is now approved for overweight heart patients. I had to get it pre-approved by my insurance which they did on appeal. This is my 7th week now and so far I am down 8 pounds with about another 25 to go.
September 21, 2025
"Can I safely take GLP-1 medications for weight loss while managing my pulmonary hypertension?"
While GLP-1 medications can be effective for weight loss, people with PH need to be especially careful when considering these medications. Weight loss could potentially benefit your PH by reducing strain on your heart and lungs Show Full Answer
"Can I safely take GLP-1 medications for weight loss while managing my pulmonary hypertension?"
While GLP-1 medications can be effective for weight loss, people with PH need to be especially careful when considering these medications. Weight loss could potentially benefit your PH by reducing strain on your heart and lungs, but adding new medications requires careful consideration. Before starting any GLP-1 medication, you'll need to discuss several important factors with your healthcare provider:
• Potential interactions with your current PH medications
• Need for close monitoring of any side effects
• Your overall health status and PH stability
• Whether alternative weight loss approaches might be safer
Since you're currently stable on your medications, it's crucial not to make changes without proper medical supervision. Your doctor can help weigh the benefits and risks specific to your situation.
September 21, 2025