Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myPHteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Sterling, CO

Hi all, as we approach the highest sodium holiday of the year, can some of you share ideas about how I can reduce the sodium in my Thanksgiving Feast? I am hosting and preparing much of the meal. I want my guests to enjoy it to the fullest, but man, oh man, it is all SO HIGH IN SODIUM! I have concluded that I will just have to practice serious portion control. If I cut out all or most of the salt, then my guests won't enjoy it as much. I did buy “no sodium” green beans, but by the time I smother… read more

November 23, 2024 (edited)
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared creative strategies for reducing sodium at Thanksgiving while keeping the meal enjoyable, with the most popular approaches... Read more

Members shared creative strategies for reducing sodium at Thanksgiving while keeping the meal enjoyable, with the most popular approaches being to prepare separate low-sodium portions for oneself before adding salt to guests' dishes, using unsalted versions of common ingredients like cream of mushroom soup and butter, and enhancing flavor with herbs, spices, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, and olive oil instead of salt. Several members mentioned specific products and recipes that worked well for them, including Campbell's unsalted cream of mushroom soup, low-sodium Stove Top stuffing, potassium chloride as a salt substitute, and a flavorful turkey rub using garlic powder, cayenne, and herbs under the skin with unsalted butter. A recurring theme was the importance of portion control, staying hydrated to help flush sodium, and being honest with guests about the lower-sodium preparation so they can add their own salt if desired.

A myPHteam Member

We use Campbell’s unsalted cream of mushroom soup. We'll be roasting turkey thighs seasoned without sodium and drizzling some habanero honey on it for some zing, baking sweet potatoes, low sodium stove top stuffing (technically for chicken but who cares!), lower sodium green bean casserole, a relatively low sodium turkey gravy bought from Sprouts, and of course cranberry sauce. Yes, not a true low sodium meal but it will be the only sodium for the day controlling everything else.

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 23, 2024 (edited)
A myPHteam Member

Yes, add herbs and spices. I like to use the Contessa's Turkey recipe. Make cuts in the skin and put unsalted butter seasoned with garlic POWDER and herbs all in the cuts. Then I mix garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne in oil and do a turkey rub. It gives the turkey so much flavor. The main salt would be in the dressing and mashed potatoes just don't add or use a little substitute. Let guests add their own salt explaining to them how u made it. Good luck and have a great holiday.

November 24, 2024 (edited)
A myPHteam Member

I've found a little creativity goes a long way. I use products that contain no added salt whenever possible. To up the flavor in vegetables I'll sauté them in olive oil with garlic and onions or squeeze some lemon juice on them. We're actually going to someone else's house for Thanksgiving this year. Unfortunately, I won't have control over the meal. I plan to eat small portions and drink lots of water.

November 24, 2024
A myPHteam Member

Hi Heather, water has a number of vital functions in our bodies:
https://edgeoflongevity.com/blog-1/how-does-dri...
So getting sufficient without causing retention and edema is a bit like walking a tight rope.
It's not a problem I suffer from to any great extent but I would want to be drinking as much as my body requires, rather than becoming dehydrated.
https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart...

Dehydration: signs, causes, and tips to drink more water
Dehydration: signs, causes, and tips to drink more water
How Does Drinking Water Flush Toxins Out of the Body? — Edge of Longevity
How Does Drinking Water Flush Toxins Out of the Body? — Edge of Longevity
November 25, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Bend, OR

A myPHteam Member asked a question 💭
Oak Hill, WV

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In